Legal Manager – JTI – Japan Tobacco International – 서울.
We’re JTI, Japan Tobacco International and we believe in freedom. We think that the possibilities are limitless when you’re free to choose. In fact, we’ve spent the last 20 years innovating, creating new and better products for our consumers to choose from. It’s how we’ve grown to be present in 130 countries.
But our business isn’t just business. Our business is our people. Their talent. Their potential. We believe when they’re free to be themselves, grow, travel and develop, amazing things can happen for our business.
That’s why our employees, from around the world, choose to be a part of JTI. It’s why 9 out of 10 would recommend us to a friend. And why we’ve been awarded Global Top Employer status, six years running.
So when you’re ready to choose a career you’ll love, in a company you’ll love, feel free to #JoinTheIdea.
Learn more: jti.com
Please, apply until December 21, COB.
Local applicants only.
Location: Seoul, South Korea
Reporting to: Legal Director
The Legal Manager will advise the Korea business on all legal matters affecting its operations. The aim is to achieve corporate and commercial objectives in a manner that ensures compliance with the law and appropriate monitoring and management of legal risk.
What will you do?
- Legal Advisory
- Identify legal issues and risks that may affect the business operations.
- Analyze and apply the relevant laws and regulations (including tobacco regulations, labor laws, consumer laws, competition laws, data privacy lawys, etc.), assess the risk levels (in liaison with external counsel, if necessary) and analyze possible options to mitigate risks.
- Provide practical advices and solutions to business assisting Legal Director to enable business decision-making with knowledge on anticipated process, timeline and potential risks.
- Dispute & Incident Management
- Manage any potential and actual incidents and disputes in which JTI Korea may be involved (such as criminal / civil / administrative disputes in/out of court).
- Develop arguments and strategies and analyze the possible outcomes.
- Proactively manage and instruct external counsel to bring out the best result.
- Project Management
- Manage and/or provide necessary inputs to the projects initiated by Legal and/or other functions.
- Establish and take a course of action and closely communicate with other functions to ensure that the objectives are achieved.
- Contract & Document Review and Management
- Manage overall contract process, including contract review/approval procedures.
- Draft and/or review company’s internal documents and/or external communication.
- Review internal approval documents (including AA3, Memo and BAP) to ensure compliance with the relevant regulations of Korea and JTI Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure corporate governance and compliance with JTI Policies and Procedures and application of laws.
- Monitor regulatory developments and business environment in Korea in liaison with CA team and provide update to AP Legal as necessary and support CA team in developing regulatory strategies and advocacy.
- Assumes responsibilities for additional projects and tasks as assigned by his/her superior and shows professionalism in all aspects of work.
Who are we looking for?
- University degree in any major or above
- Korean bar or US bar license (Korean bar is preferred)
- 5+ years Post Qualification Experience (PQE) with a law firm or multinational company
- Experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating general commercial contracts
- Experience in handling dispute resolution and litigation matters
- Employment law, competition law and/or regulatory experience desirable
- Native proficiency in Korean language and fluency in English
- Understanding of business fundamentals (finance & marketing)
- Strong legal research & risk analysis skills
- Ability to identify legal issues and propose & implement practical solutions
- Ability to review and negotiate general commercial contracts
- Ability to handle and monitor dispute and litigation matters
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects as needed by AP Legal and business
- Strong communication, writing, presentation and interpersonal skills
What’s in it for you?
- Work at our JTI office in Seoul.
- Be part of a truly international and diverse company with over 40,000 employees in 130 countries.
- Experience the culture of an Investors in People certified company
- Find out why 9 out of 10 employees recommend us to a friend.
- Understand why 9 out of 10 employees say they feel free to be themselves.