The Lower School includes Early Years (Pre-Nursery to Reception) and the Pre-Prep School (Y1-Y5). It encourages students to become independent learners; from taking a greater role in their own personal organization to increasing their ability for independent thought and responsibility for their own learning. Students entering Early Years’ experience a vibrant and lively learning environment. Concepts essential to forming a strong foundation in basic skills are explored on a daily basis and the integrated day is conducive to exploration, enquiry and interaction both in and outside the classroom. In the Pre-Prep School, students experience a more formal structure to the School day with discrete subject lessons, an increased number of specialist lessons and an extra-curricular programme. Throughout both phases there is a strong emphasis on Language and Learning and many of the students speak English as a second language. An ability to support Language learning would be a significant advantage.
The Lower School is comprised of our main campus at Hegezhuang and the City Campus Infant School which is on a separate site at Anzhenxili. The main campus at Hegezhuang admits pupils from Pre-Nursery (Age 2) through to Year 5 (Age 10). The Infant School admits pupils from Pre-Nursery (Age 2) through to Year 1 (Age 6). Pupils from the City Campus transfer to our main campus at Hegezhuang to join at Year 2.
We seek to employ teachers in the Lower School with the ability and commitment to enhance the life of an ‘all through School’, and to work effectively and collaboratively in a team dedicated to further establishing and developing the School. The Lower School team aims to deliver a stimulating and challenging curriculum and the most important part of the role is the classroom teaching and associated pastoral care of the students. In addition to this, the School’s emphasis on activities outside the classroom means that an effective and varied contribution to the extra-curricular programme is also required. There is an after school “Lions Club” for students in EY and Y1 and a wider Enrichment Activity programme for students in Y2-Y5.
All Lower School teachers are offered two-year renewable contracts and a highly competitive compensation package, including on-site accommodation or equivalent accommodation allowance, annual flight and full medical insurance for employees and their dependents.
- At least 3 years experience as qualified teacher (QTS/PGCE or equivalent)
- A good understanding of curriculum developments in the specific phase area
- An understanding of how Assessment for Learning can improve student performance
- Ability to work in a way that promotes the safety and well-being of children.
- Effective communication and engagement with children and their families.
- Experience/confidence to teach across the age range of 2-5.
- Teaching experience in an International School
- Know how to challenge and differentiate for children of varying abilities
- Have taken a lead role in organising and implementing extra-curricular activities.
- Open to exploring innovative approaches from across the educational field.
- Subject knowledge sufficient to challenge able students and achieve high outcomes.
- Knowledge and understanding of positive disciplinary methods.
- Knowledge and understanding of child development and its impact on behavior.
Please download the attached job description for a full breakdown of the responsibilities and tasks associated with this role.
Please visit the Harrow Beijing careers portal to complete an online application.
Deadline for submission of applications by 8 October 2021, with first- round interviews taking place via Skype from the week commencing 11 October 2021. Only those candidates who have been shortlisted will be responded to.
Harrow Beijing is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and those connected to the school to share this commitment.
Please note that you are wholly responsible for fact checking in respect of the information provided by schools. Please also check for the latest visa and work permit requirements that may apply. Tes is not responsible for the content of advertisements or the policies adopted by advertising schools. Tes asks that all schools follow Tes’ Fair Recruitment Policy.